Sunday, October 18, 2015

Remnants - Emanet and feeling McCoy Tyner's "Survival Blues" personally

  When you visit old places, the exercise becomes "trying to be present" while a part of your mind retrieves memories that may make it difficult to see "the present". Going to the Gedavet in Zafer in Konya is one of those things. I saw so many people who remembered me, and I had difficulty retrieving memories, but in other moments, it became difficult to see the present at all. I believe it was a learning moment for me -- all that I knew is refusing to be static, and so it is an encouragement for me to also be dynamic, in keeping with that theme. I am not being allowed to make my memory palace a museum wherein I can live, but only visit from time to time. It would be unrealistic to hide amid the archives. Instead I believe I am being directed to make new memories.
This place, near Özsüt Cafe, a place with delicious ice cream and warm memories, has transformed since I last visited it. I see new fountains, new shops, old things gone, with old recall making it difficult to see the new things. I wish I weren't the only person who can recall them...but that too is a teaching moment for me as well. A parting gift.

No comments: